Sagging skin is usually caused by losing too much weight too quickly. Due to different factors like aging, pregnancy and rapid weight loss, the skin gets loose and tends to sag, with stretch marks appearing on the skin.
The skin is the largest organ in our body which protects the body from external damage and other harmful exposures. And the skin needs to be kept protected and toned.
Different areas of the body can be affected. The most common are stomach (tummy), arms, legs, tights, upper arms, elbows.
People with aging skin also experience saggy skin on their face area, such as under eyes, under chin and around the mouth.
Here are important tips how to prevent saggy skin from happening and to tighten the skin that is already loose.
• Don’t lose weight too quickly. If a person is undergoing with very strict measures of dieting, it will cause the skin to sag. Not only sagging, this rapid form of dieting can also be dangerous to health. In order to lose weight without sagging skin and any health problems, one needs to chart-up and maintain a proper diet plan, preferably in consultation with a dietician or nutritionist.
Creams and scrubs
• Use moisturizer. When losing weight, it is necessary to apply moisturizer to maintain the elasticity of the skin to prevent the sagginess. Apply moisturizer evenly before going to bed, and during that time, wear long sleeves or pajamas so that the moisturizer does not rub off with the bed sheets. Also, this will help to retain the body moisture.
• Use body scrub. Use a body scrub to help tighten the skin. When the surface of the skin is scrubbed, it will cause the skin underneath to surface up, and generate faster. Scrub the skin 2 to 3 times a week.
• Collagen cream. Collagen is protein that makes 80% of our skin. Collagen powers the skin to keep it in good health, but with age, this power of collagen weakens, and results in the appearance of wrinkles and sagging of skin. Such creams are used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. They are also sold as “anti-aging” cream. Collagen injections are also available, that must be done at any doctor’s clinic.
• Exercise but don’t quit! Never quit exercising suddenly, because the body continues with it food intake, but the food is not being utilized into energy now. This may result in weight gain.
• Massage the skin. Massage the skin to help the skin get back the elasticity. One of the natural remedies is a mustard oil that has certain medicinal properties that will help you in attaining a healthy, glowing skin. Massage it daily.
Dieting and healthy lifestyle
• Drink plenty of water. This has other benefits besides keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized. Water flushes the toxins from the body which makes you look and feel healthy. Drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water each day.
• Do not smoke.
• Control your diet:
- Avoid sweets. Eating sweets adds up carbohydrates and calories to the body, and also raises the sugar content in blood. This puts up to the body weight. Refrain from sugar based foods as much as possible.
- Avoid alcohol. Avoid alcohol, or other excess of other beverages like tea and coffee. Excess of these beverages not only adversely affect the health, but also makes the person overweight, which in turn, will result sagging skin.
- Avoid fatty foods. Greasy and fatty foods also contribute to weight gain.
Laser skin tightening
It effectively reduces the loose skin and appearance of wrinkles and for a more youthful and smoother appearance. This non-surgical process using a laser beam to tighten skin by heating the collagen under the skin’s surface which causes the skin to tighten. Additional skin tightening treatments are required over the next few months (two or three treatments about a month apart). Read more about laser skin tightening.
Surgical options for skin tightening
Panniculectomy (Abdominoplasty) or Tummy Tuck: This is a type of cosmetic surgery used to firm-up the abdomen, which involves removing excess skin and fat from the middle/lower abdomen, so that the muscle, and fascia of the abdominal wall can be tightened. Such surgery is usually required by women in cases of pregnancy, or by people with sagging skins who had major weight loss.
Belt Lipectomy: This is a similar procedure. Belt lipectomy (or lower body) lift reshapes the patient’s abdomen, thighs, hips, and buttocks.
These methods also carry the risk of infection, or nerve, skin or muscle damage. Make sure you talk to your doctor before choosing one or the other option to tighten loose skin.